jeudi 7 février 2008

Questions about the Freedom Writers Diary

1. Why did Ms Gruwell had the Freedom Writers study the Holocaust and meet Holocaust survivors?

The Freedom Writers didn’t know about the Holocaust. Ms Gruwell taught them the story of the holocaust because their problems are similar. They kill people because they aren’t the same race. The students must know about the World War II. The Freedom Writers are impressed by the Holocaust survivors, they admire them.


2. How did the Freedom relate to Anne Frank? Give examples.

Anne Frank lived during the holocaust. She was a Jew. The Freedom Writers identify to Anne Frank. Their life looks like a war. In diary 37 the writer says: “I’m beginning to realize that Anne Frank, Zlata Filipovic, and I have a lot in common.” In diary 36, the writer says: “Just like her. I knew the feeling of discrimination and to be looked down upon based on the way you look.”

3. In what way Zlata Filipovic impacted the students’ lives? Give example from several writers.
What really surprised the Freedom writers?

Zlata writes about the war in Bosnia, Freedom Writers identify with her too. In diary 38, the writer says: “Zlata and I seem to have a lot in common because while Zlata was living a war in Sarajevo, I was living through a different kind of war. The Freedom writers are very surprised when Zlata Filipovic comes to meet them.”



4. In diary 47, the writer says: «Now if you ask me what race I am, like Zlata, I’ll simply say, “I’m a human being.””How could you explain that quote? Do you relate to it?

That quote shows that human beings are all the same. Races don’t make you different from each other. Race doesn't exist. Before meeting Zlata, The writers says that she was from one ethnicity and now she says " I'm a human being".

Aucun commentaire: